Three Cows, or Three Oxen:
Danger in Discord
In eōdem prātō pāscēbantur trēs bovēs in maximā concordiā, et sīc ab omnī ferārum incursiōne tūtī erant. Sed dissidium ortum est, et singulī ā ferīs laniātī sunt. Multum bonī est in concordiā, ut haec fābula docet.
- from pāscor, feed. This verb is connected with pāstor, a feeder or shepherd. The imperfect tense here shows that the cattle were accustomed to feed in this meadow.
- from bōs, bovis - cow
- i.e. while they acted in harmony.
- dissidium, -ī (n)
- sitting apart; disagreement.
- ortum est
- from orior, orīrī, ortus sum - to rise
- one-by-one or one at a time.
- multum bonī
- much of good. bonī is a partitive gentive.
- as. ut with an indicative verb means as or when.
Return from Three Cows to Vocabulary Lesson Plans